The Mission to Seafarers Brisbane has been nominated for the Daily Cargo News Australian Shipping Awards in the Seafarers Welfare Award category.
The award ceremony will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth on Thursday 22 November, the Australian Shipping Awards.
The Mission to Seafarers Brisbane holds a long tradition of welcoming seafarers to its Fisherman Islands Centre every year. There the team of Jackie Nielsen-Dale, Heather Turner, the Rev Ian McGilvray and the Rev Stephen Briggs provide:
- Transport to and from ships. Our buses make over 8,000 trips around the port each year, travelling some 86,000 km and carry over
- 25,000 seafarers from and back to their ships.
- Pastoral Care, Counselling and welfare services to seafarers as required.
- Internet Service with PC’s, Skype and WiFi access.
- Transport to local shops or shopping for essentials at our on-site store.
- Recreation facilities – pool tables, table tennis, music, library, chapel, outdoor gardens.
- Ship visits for those seafarers unable to get shore leave.
The Mission to Seafarers Brisbane sits among strong competition in the category, with Australian Mariners Welfare Society, Hunterlink, Port of Brisbane and Svitzer Australia also being nominated. The Seafarers Welfare Award is sponsored by Australian Maritime Safety Authority.